Oil-Free Spicy Indian Tomato Rice
This beautiful dish can be made as a main meal or a side dish. Feel free to increase or decrease the spices based on your preferences. Garnish with fresh cilantro! I had help on this recipe by one of my wonderful Indian friends. Check her out on Instagram at http://www.instagram.com/plantbasedindianmom
- Electric Pressure Cooker
- 1 cup Basmati or Sona Masoori rice
- 1-2 cloves
- 1-2 cardamom pods
- 4-5 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 t cumin seeds
- 1-2 chopped onions
- 5-6 Roma or Campari tomatoes chopped small
- 1 t tomato paste
- 1 t garlic crushed
- 1 t Garam Masala
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4-1/2 t red INDIAN chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups liquid 1/4 cup lite canned coconut milk and 1 1/4 cup water or all water
- 1/4-1/2 cup frozen green peas defrosted
- Soak rice for 30 min in water. Strain well with a fine-mesh strainer.
- In your Instant Pot, dry saute cloves, cardamom pods, peppercorns, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, and cumin seeds for 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Add in chopped onions and cook 8-10 min with a little water to keep from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Add chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, and crushed garlic. Stir and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add in rice to tomatoes mixture along with Garam Masala, salt, Indian red chili powder, and 2 cups liquid. Stir well to combine.
- Cover with lid and and press RICE mode on the Instant Pot.
- When finished, click CANCEL button and let the rice naturally release.
- Open the top, add in defrosted peas, and fluff with a fork.