Our Family’s Vegan Kimchi Recipe
I absolutely LOVE kimchi, but most available in stores is not vegan or is too spicy for me. Making my own allows me to decide what goes into it! My favorite Korean red chili spice (Gochugaru) is Mother-in-Law's brand. NOTE: I have adjusted this recipe on 9-8-2021 based on improvements my son and daughter-in-law made to the recipe. They have perfected it!
- Kimchi Fermenting Box or Mason Jars
- Disposable plastic kitchen gloves
- 1 large head Napa cabbage (or 2 medium-sized)
- kosher salt
- 3/4 Asian pear or Fuji apple with skin left on
- 4 cloves of garlic depending on how garlicky you like it
- 1 t of crushed ginger
- 1 bunch of green onions white separated from the green
- 3 T Gochugaru Korean Chili Flakes of choice
- 2 T sugar
- Kimchi Box OR sanitized Mason jars
- Disposable plastic gloves
- Wash and dry Napa cabbage leaves, then cut into 1 1/2-2 inch pieces (rectangular or diamond-shaped). Place in a large container and layer with kosher salt. Let sit for approximately 6 hours.
- In the meantime, blend the apple, garlic, ginger, and white part of the onions in a cup blender with a very small amount of water. You want to create a thick sauce. Refrigerate the sauce until the cabbage leaves are wilted, rinsed, and drained well. Cut the remaining green onions (the green ends) into 1 1/2 inch-long pieces and refrigerate as well.
- After the cabbage is wilted, do a quick cold water rinse on the leaves and drain well. You want some of the salt to remain for the fermenting process.
- Pour the sauce over the wilted cabbage and the green ends of the green onions. Mix the cabbage with your hands using gloves. Add the gochugaru and sugar and continue mixing.
- Place seasoned cabbage in kimchi box or in a sanitized Mason jar (leave about 1/2 inch empty at the top), pressing down with kimchi box seal or fist (if using a Mason jar) to remove all air. Cover with top and leave in a dark place (like a pantry) for at least 3 days. Then, refrigerate for 1-2 weeks before consuming. The flavor is enhanced if you wait the whole 2 weeks.
Disclosure: Mrs. Plant makes use of Amazon.com affiliate links when they are available. These are products I have personally purchased and recommend based on my experience with them. Your use of these links for product purchases provides me with a commission which pays for the food and supplies I use to keep this website alive. However, your use of these links as a reader is not required.