I literally tried every method for cooking shelled edamame, and it was either too dry, too crispy, overcooked…you name it! I LOVE shelled edamame on salads and in noodle bowls, so I knew I had to figure out how to cook them to perfection. Here is my method, and LOTS of people tell me it was an answer to their edamame cooking prayers. 🙂
- Boil 5-6 cups of water in an electric kettle or saucepan on the stove.
- Dump a frozen bag of edamame into a large bowl.
- When the water is full boiling, dump it over the edamame.
- Set a timer for 5 minutes and DON’T WALK AWAY!
- After 5 minutes, taste one edamame bean to see if the texture is tender. If not, wait 1 more minute. The edamame should be perfect after a total of 5-6 minutes.
- Drain and store in the refrigerator if not using immediately.