Pumpkin Chia Oat Dog Treats
Many of you know that we have two 100% V-dogs (that means they are on a 100% plant-based diet and have been for most of their life.) We make their food, and I posted that a while back. However, we also make two kinds of treats for them. These (see photos) are mini-sized Pumpkin Chia Treats that we give them occasionally when we leave the house. They're low calorie and low-fat, but have super healthy ingredients. I purchased a mini cookie cutter for them, but you can make your own with a 1 or 1 1/2-inch cookie cutter instead. Just bake them 10 more minutes if their bigger and thicker.
Servings: 250 mini treats
- Food Processor
- 3 cups oat flour I just ground organic oats in my Vitamix
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 T Blackstrap molasses
- 2 T chia seeds
- 1/4 t cinnamon
- 1/2 cup filtered water (or more if needed)
- Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees. Mix all ingredients in your standing mixer until it all comes together in a ball. The consistency should be sticky, but not so sticky that it sticks to your fingers much. If you need more water, add some. If you need more flour, add some.
- Split the dough in half and wrap one half in plastic wrap to keep it moist.
- Press or roll the other half out on a wooden board. Cut out treats with cookie cutter. Place on parchment or silicone-lined baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes, then turn oven off and leave them in the oven to dry out (a few hours or overnight).
- These can be frozen for future use. Just make sure they are FULLY cooled first.