Bean ‘O Caramel Bars
NOTE: This recipe CAN be made with other cereals (like Cheerios), but this recipe was designed to be low-glycemic for Type 2 diabetics.You can also replace the coconut nectar with maple syrup.[dairy-free, low-glycemic, oil-free, vegan]
- 4 cups Three Wishes Unsweetened O’s Cereal
- 1/4 cup smooth almond butter (made from only dry-roasted almonds)
- 1/4 cup coconut nectar (found at Sprouts, Whole Foods, or online)
- 3 T coconut sugar
- scant 1/4 t salt
- 1 1/2 t vanilla
- In a large bowl, measure out 4 cups of the cereal. Set aside.
- Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add the almond butter, coconut nectar, coconut sugar, and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring to combine all of the ingredients. When the mixture begins to softly boil, let it do so for about 1 minute as you continue stirring. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Pour the mixture over the cereal and stir with a silicone spatula until all of the pieces are coated well. Turn the mixture out into the parchment-lined pan and press it into the pan evenly with the back of the spatula. Place in the freezer for at least 2 hours to harden up. Then, lift out the parchment paper, and place it on a cutting board. Cut into 9 squares. Serve!
NOTE: These bars store well in the refrigerator or the freezer in an airtight container.