Clif Gets a Facelift Bars
My husband likes to have a Clif Nut Butter Filled Bar after a long cycling ride. I looked at the ingredients one day, and though most of the ingredients were acceptable, there were some I'd really rather not have him consume. So, I made up a replacement bar for him to have that is delicious, nutritious, and less noxious. 😉These are vegan and can be made gluten-free by using GF oats!
- 8 large, gooey Medjool dates pitted
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup, coconut nectar, or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 T brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup peanut powder I use Naked PB because it is salt, oil, and sugar-free
- 2 T ground flax seeds
- 2 T cacao powder
- 1/4 t salt optional
- 2 T water
- 1/2 cup smooth natural peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a high-speed blender, blend the dates with the brown rice syrup to create a sticky date paste. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the rest of the ingredients, then add in the date paste.
- Use a strong wooden spoon to mix the thick batter well, making sure all of the ingredients are combined well.
- Line a 8×8 square pan with parchment paper, letting a little extra hang over the sides of the pan.
- With another square of parchment paper or waxed paper, press the batter evenly in the pan–making sure that you press it right into the corners.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Lift the bars out of the pan using the edges of the parchment paper.
- Cut the whole square into 2 large pieces.
- Flip the 2 sides over and spread the peanut butter evenly over one half. Place the other 1/2 on top of the peanut butter. Cut into 8-10 pieces.
- These may be refrigerated or frozen.