Baked Eggplant “Fries”
NOTE: You may need to make up more of the seasoned breadcrumbs and mix more of the milk/vinegar mixture if your eggplant is larger than a medium size.
- 1 medium eggplant or 2 medium zucchini, if you prefer
- 1 cup unsweetened plant-based milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs the finer texture, the better!
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 t oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 tablespoon vegan parmesan cheese See link to the recipe below
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick foil. Set aside.
- Peel eggplant and cut lengthwise into strips about the thickness of a chopstick and as long as you like.
- In a medium bowl, combine nondairy milk with vinegar.
- In a shallow dish or pie pan, combine the breadcrumbs with vegan parmesan cheese and spices.
- Dip eggplant strips into wet mixture, coating all surfaces. Place in breadcrumbs mixture and cover all sides well. Place on baking pan. Do this with all strips. You may need two baking pans or two rounds of baking to complete the task.
- Bake on one side for 15 minutes, flip the strips and bake for another 10 minutes on the other side.
- Serve with ketchup or other dipping sauce.