- High-Speed Blender
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes*
- 1 t onion powder
- 1 t salt
- 1 t cumin
- 1/8 t black pepper optional
- a dash of cayenne pepper I added more to make it spicier
- 1 1/3 cup unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 1/2 T white or yellow miso paste**
- 1/2 cup roasted red bell pepper you can roast your own or use jarred–not soaked in oil!
- 1 t lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients in a HIGH-SPEED BLENDER and process until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, allowing the cheese to thicken. Serve with baked chips.
- *Nutritional Yeast Flakes can be found at Sprouts in the vitamins section, at Trader Joe's, at Whole Foods (and other stores) in the bulk bin area, or online. They are also FABULOUS on air-popped, salted popcorn and in other "cheesy" dishes.
- ** Miso paste is found in the refrigerated section at Whole Foods or Sprouts usually near the plant-based meat alternatives. You can also go to an Asian store and purchase it there.
If you do not have a high-speed blender, soak cashews for several hours, drain water off, then add to the recipe. This will soften them and make your queso more creamy.