Soy Curls Taquitos
NOTE: If you are using the tiny pieces of soy curls that are in the bottom of the bag to make the filling, don't soak them in water. Just place them in a skillet with about 1/2 cup of water or so and the seasonings and warm them over medium heat. If you're using full-sized soy curls, follow the instructions, below.
- 3 handfuls soy curls soaked in water for 10 minutes, then squeezed out/drained well
- 3 T of Mexican Spice seasoning I love the recipe from PlantPure Nation cookbook, p. 147
- 1 T Better-Than-Bouillion "No-Chicken" broth concentrate (or a teaspoon or two of Trader Joe's Chickenless Seasoning)
- salt to taste
- 2 packages of corn tortillas I like "Food for Life" sprouted corn tortillas
- vegan sour cream or unsweetened plain soy yogurt
- Hot sauce like Cholula or Taco Bell Mild Sauce
- Homemade Salsa Fresca (use website search to find recipe)
- Cashew Queso (optional; use website search to find recipe)
- Place half of the (soaked and drained) soy curls into your high-speed blender and blend on the LOWEST speed for 6-8 seconds until shredded. Pour the shredded curls into a bowl. Repeat with the rest of the soy curls. Stir in the taco/Mexican seasoning and the Better-Than-Bouillion No-Chicken broth base to coat everything well. Add salt to taste.
- Prepare a baking pan with parchment paper or a silpat sheet. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Steam your tortillas EITHER over a saucepan with 2 inches of water in it topped with a baking cooling rack on top of it until they are soft OR lightly wet each tortilla individually (on both sides) and microwave for 10-12 seconds. Fill with chickenless filling, roll up tightly, and place seam-side down on the tray. Bake for 15 minutes. Turn oven down to 400 degrees and flip the taquitos over. Bake for 5-10 more minutes or until crispy. Depending on how wet your filling is will depend on how long your taquitos will need to bake to be crunchy.
- Serve with vegan sour cream (or unsweetened plain yogurt), your favorite hot sauce or salsa, Salsa Fresca and/or Cashew Queso
Disclosure: Mrs. Plant makes use of Amazon.com affiliate links when they are available. These are products I have personally purchased and recommend based on my experience with them. Your use of these links for product purchases provides me with a commission which pays for the food and supplies I use to keep this website alive. However, your use of these links as a reader is not required.