Tex-Mex Tofu Scramble
- 1 package of firm tofu drained WELL and crumbled into very small pieces (the size of ground meat)
- 1 t cumin
- 1 t chili powder
- 2 T nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/4 t turmeric powder optional
- 1/2 t salt or 1/4 t. BLACK salt which tastes “eggy”
- 1 onion diced small
- 2 red and/or yellow bell peppers diced small
- 1 jalapeno diced small (optional)
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach optional
- 3-4 medium-sized potatoes cut into bite-sized chunks (you can season them first in Mexican seasoning, if you like)
- Whole wheat tortillas
- Cholula Sauce or homemade Salsa Fresca
- Season potato chunks (if desired) with Mexican seasonings, and roasted in oven at 400 degrees F on a nonstick foil-lined baking pan until crispy and tender — about 25 minutes.
- While the potatoes are roasting, crumble the tofu into tiny pieces into a medium-sized bowl. Add spices and nutritional yeast flakes to the crumbled tofu and set aside.
- Steamfry the onions with a couple of tablespoons of water in a large skillet over medium-high heat until lightly browned. Add the bell peppers and cook until tender. Add baby spinach (if using) and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from skillet to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the peppers and onions back in. Cook for a minute or two. Add in the seasoned tofu and stir until warm. Add more salt if needed.
- Serve in warm tortillas with Cholula and/or Salsa Fresca!
You can roast your potatoes in the oven or toaster oven on nonstick foil while you’re working on the rest of the cooking. Place bite-sized chunks of potato (with skins!) on non-stick foil or parchment paper on a baking pan. Roast on 400 degrees until tender inside and crispy on the outside. Add to the scramble JUST before serving.