Homemade Oil-Free Pizza Dough
Makes one 13-inch round pizza or one 12×17 rectangle
- 1 ½ cups King Arthur unbleached bread flour
- ¾ cup King Arthur white whole wheat flour
- ½ t salt
- ½ t active dry yeast
- 3 T aquafaba liquid from a can of chickpeas
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 t maple syrup or coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to the lowest setting (usually 175 degrees F) then TURN OVEN OFF as soon as it hits temperature.
- In a standing mixer (preferably with a stainless steel bowl), mix together the flours, salt, and yeast.
- Add in the liquid ingredients and mix until all of the dough pulls away from the sides and forms a ball. This should happen in about 30-45 seconds after mixing. If it is still too sticky (and won’t release on its own from the sides of the bowl), add 1 T of either flour. If it is too dry (not sticky), add 1 T of water. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and place in the TURNED OFF oven for 1 ½ hours. The dough will not gain a significant amount of rise during this time. Don’t panic.
- Degass the dough by punching it down a couple of times. Place the bowl (covered with a towel) with the dough back into the TURNED OFF oven for a second rise (another 1 ½ hours). Since there is not a lot of yeast in this dough, it is not going to rise like bread dough would.
- Preheat your oven as high as it will go (usually 550 degrees F).
- Choose your baking sheet and liberally sprinkle flour on it. Dampen your hands with water. Pick up the ball of dough and flatten it into a disc with your hands as you rotate the dough. Position the dough so it is resting on the back of your hands and slightly pull your hands out as you rotate the dough. When you get to the point of where you think the dough might tear, place it on the baking sheet and pull it into formation so it’s about 13 inches in diameter. Do not crimp the edges of the dough; It will create an edge for you during baking.
- Add sauce and toppings (pre-cooked or roasted toppings helps tremendously). Bake for 15-20 minutes until the crust turns golden brown with some darker spots. Rotate the pizza 180 degrees after about 7 minutes. Allow pizza to cool about 10 minutes before serving.