Roasted Nacho Chickpeas
These are amazing on salads instead of croutons! Also, they are super snackable and great for people with diabetes. It's best to use a runny tahini like Shirley Bar Living Raw Ethiopian Tahini, which is my fave. Also, my favorite nutritional yeast flakes are Sari brand because they are not fortified. [oil-free, gluten-free, vegan]
- 3-4 cups cooked and chilled chickpeas I like to use home-cooked that were made in the Instant Pot best!
- 1 T tahini a good runny one like Shirley Bar Living, which is my fave!
- 1/2 t cumin powder
- 1 t chili powder
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1/2 t oregano Mexican is best, but use what you have
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t smoked paprika
- 2 T nutritional yeast flakes my favorite brand is Sari Foods!
- Preheat oven to 375-400 degrees.
- NOTE: It is best to start the heat higher and lower the oven temperature as they begin to roast if they are getting too brown.
- Rinse the chickpeas off well and place them in a clean kitchen towel. Gently cover them with the towel and dry them off by patting them. They must be as dry as you can get them before seasoning and baking. If there are any skins that have fallen off, remove them.
- In a medium bowl, add the tahini. Then, add in the chickpeas and use a small silicone spatula to coat the chickpeas with the tahini. Add all of the spices together and mix them to combine well. Sprinkle the spice mixture over the chickpeas as you continue to toss them around in the bowl and cover them well. Use as much seasoning as you like.
- Gently place the chickpeas on baking trays (with sides) in a single layer. Bake for up to an hour, lowering the heat if necessary and stirring the chickpeas every 15 minutes. You have to take a chickpea out of the oven and let it cool a bit before you can tell if they are completely crispy. If they are browning too much, lower the heat a bit.