Chuna (Chickpea Tuna)
NOTE: Leave out the nori for more of a chicken salad flavor
- 2 cans chickpeas garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained well
- 2 celery ribs chopped finely
- 1-2 green onions white part only, chopped finely
- a handful of grapes cut into quarters or 1/4 cup chopped dried organic cranberries
- 2 T firm tofu
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 T apple cider vinegar
- 1 T tahini
- 1/2 T mild white or yellow miso paste
- 1 t date syrup or other sweetener
- 1 t dijon mustard
- 1/8 t dried dill
- 1 t kelp granules or 1/4 nori sheet cut into tiny pieces (this gives the "ocean" flavor)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mash chickpeas in a bowl with a potato masher or fork until completely mashed (no whole chickpeas). Add chopped celery, green onion, and grapes.
- Blend tofu, water, vinegar, tahini, sweetener, mustard, dill, and kelp granules in cup blender until smooth. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Stir dressing a bit at a time into chickpea mixture. CHILL THE CHUNA BEFORE SERVING.
- Serve on toast with sliced tomatoes and lettuce or in lettuce boats.