CLEAN Shepherd’s Pie
- 6 medium Russet potatoes peeled and chopped into chunks
- 2 T nutritional yeast flakes optional
- 12 oz of button mushrooms sliced then again in half slices
- 1 large shallot or 1/4 of an onion chopped finely
- One 16-oz bag of frozen mixed vegetables defrosted
- 1 can of black lentils rinsed and drained
- 1/2 t dried crushed rosemary
- 1 cup of low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 t garlic powder
- 1 T low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 T non-GMO cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the potato chunks in a saucepan and cover them in water. Boil the potatoes until tender. Drain water, add nutritional yeast flakes (optional), salt and pepper to taste. Mash by hand or blend with a hand blender until smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk the veggie broth together with the garlic powder, soy sauce, cornstarch, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, add the chopped shallots and mushrooms. Cook over medium high heat until the moisture in the mushrooms is release and then evaporated. Add the frozen veggies and cook for about 5 minutes or until all of the moisture is released and cooked out. Add the black lentils and cook for one additional minute. Stir in the rosemary.
Assembling the Shepherd's Pie
- Add the gravy mixture to the veggies in the skillet and thicken over medium-high heat. Move the mixture to the bottom of your deep-dish pie plate or square casserole dish. Top with the mashed potatoes.
- Bake in the oven (uncovered) for 30 minutes or until the mixture under the potatoes is bubbling and the potatoes get lightly golden on top.
You can also cook the potatoes in the electric pressure cooker: Simply place the potato chunks into your pressure cooker with 1/2 cup of water and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes with natural release.