Oil-Free Mashed Potato Fries
These "fries" are oil-free, but still crunch like fries! And, mixing spices INTO the potatoes gives them extra flavor. I want to thank my sweet friend Jeannine Elder (aka Potato Wisdom) for sharing this method of making fries with me! Check out her awesome website at: www.thepotatoreset.com
- Pressure Cooker
- Convection Oven or Air Fryer
- 3-5 lbs medium-sized yellow Yukon Gold potatoes washed and with skins left on
- 1/4-1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk soy is best
- spices garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, smoked paprika, pepper, salt, chili powder, or whatever you like!
- Place potatoes (whole) in the Instant Pot with 1 cup of water on a silicone or metal stand for 12 minutes with natural release (click cancel after the countdown).
- Then, mash the potatoes in a big bowl with about 1/4-1/2 cup of unsweetened non-dairy milk until the potatoes are mashed well. Add the seasonings of your choice and mix well. Taste and adjust the seasonings to your desires.
- Press the seasoned mashed potatoes into a shallow container. You don't want the fries to be more than about 1" thick. Cover with the lid but DO NOT seal it. You don't want moisture to accumulate. Chill them in the refrigerator for about a day.
- When you are ready to bake/airfry them, pop the whole block onto a cutting board, and gently cut them into fry shapes.
- Place the fries onto a parchment paper-line baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees or air-fry at 380 degrees until crispy.
NOTE: I store any extra potatoes in the fridge WITHOUT a lid to shred for hash browns on another day. They are best when the potatoes are cooked and chilled first.