Vegan Bahn Mizza
Bahn Mizza is an oil-free, all-vegan pizza inspired by Vietnamese Bahn Mi sandwiches! Making the pizza dough from scratch makes this recipe even more amazing.Original recipe by mydarlingvegan.com – https://www.mydarlingvegan.com/vegan-banh-mi-pizza/
- Homemade Oil-Free Pizza Dough (see link for recipe above) or a ready-made vegan crust
- BASE SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 t vegan Hoisin sauce
- 1 t low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 t agave nectar or other liquid sweetener
- PICKLED VEGGIES:
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1 T sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large carrot peeled into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- 1 small cucumber outer skin peeled, then outside flesh peeled into ribbons with vegetable peeler
- 8 ounces firm tofu sliced into 1/4-inch thick triangles
- 2 T low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 t sesame seeds
- 2 T rice vinegar
- 2 T maple syrup date syrup, or agave
- pinch of salt
- 1 t ginger crushed or grated
- Fresh cilantro
- Sliced Jalapeño peppers (optional)
- Sliced ripe pear (optional)
- Make pizza dough in advance if you are making it homemade. It can even be made in the morning and left covered until dinnertime. If you are not making it homemade, you can skip this step.
- Press tofu to remove excess moisture. Mix together the tofu marinade. Cut the tofu into 1/4-inch thick triangular slices and place them in the marinade so they are completely submerged. Marinate the tofu for at least 1 hour.
- Blend together the ingredients for the Creamy Banh Mi Sauce in a high-speed blender. Set aside.
- Combine the ingredients for the pickled vegetables, submerging the carrots and cucumbers completely. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Drain off marinade and squeeze out remaining marinade before topping pizza.
- Air-fry or bake the tofu slices on non-stick foil at 375 degrees F for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown on the outside but still pillowy to the touch. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Bake pizza for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden.
- Remove the crust from the oven. Cover in an even layer of sauce. Add pickled vegetables, air-fried/baked tofu, and remaining toppings.