Sassy Soy Curls Tostadas
These sweet and spicy tostadas have lots of flavor and are the perfect plant-based meal!
- 8 oz soy curls break 1/2″ pieces
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 T oregano
- 1 T onion powder
- 1 t chili powder
- 1/2 t cumin powder
- 1 t coriander powder
- 12 oz pineapple juice no sugar added
- 3/4 – 1 t salt
- 1 t Trader Joe’s Chickenless seasoning (optional) You may need less salt in the marinade if you use them.
- 2 T fresh lime juice
- 1 T liquid sweetener agave, maple syrup, date syrup, etc.
- MANGO SALSA:
- 2 ripe mangoes diced small
- 1/4 red onion diced small
- 2 T fresh lime juice
- handful of cilantro chopped finely
- 1 jalapeno or Serrano pepper chopped finely
- ADDITIONAL TOPPINGS:
- Chopped lettuce
- Diced avocado
- Diced tomatoes
- Baked corn tortillas or tostada shells
- If you are baking your own tostada shells, preheat oven to 320 degree F. Lay corn tortilla on a baking tray and bake until crispy. The time that takes can vary, depending on how cold the tortillas are. Keep your eye on them. They should lightly brown and crispy after 9-12 minutes, generally. Let them cool to check for crispiness. Cooled tostadas can be store in an air-tighter container for a week or 2.
- In a small saucepan, cook chopped onions over medium-high heat with some water. Cook until translucent, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, place the dry soy curls and pour warm water over them–just enough to cover.
- While the soy curls are soaking, add the marinade ingredients to a large air-tight container. Mix them together well. Add in the onions. Squeeze the water out of the soy curls by handfuls and place them into the marinade. Stir to make sure all of the soy curls are coated with the marinade. At this point, you can place the marinated curls in the refrigerator until you are ready to bake them. When ready, preheat oven to 400 degrees F (or 375 convection). Bake soy curls until crispy on the outside but not too dried up. This can take anywhere from 15-30 minutes–depending on how moist they are.
- While the soy curls are baking, mix together the mango salsa ingredients. Cover and place in the refrigerator until serving.
- Prepare other toppings–chop lettuce, dice tomatoes and avocados, etc.
- TO SERVE: Place baked tostada shells on plate. Top with some of the baked soy curls, lettuce, mango salsa, and other toppings you desire
You can bake the corn tortillas in advance. Also, it is best if you make the mango salsa an hour or more before serving, so it will be chilled when you add it on your tostadas. Lastly, the soy curls are great even the next day! Just warm them in the oven or toaster oven at 350 degrees for a few minutes.