Savory Cornbread Recipe:
NOTE: You can make this ahead of time and freeze in squares (or muffins) for future use. Just make sure to wrap each piece well with plastic wrap. Just re-warm in oven or toaster oven for about 5 minutes on 325 degrees.
- 1 1/2 cups FINE yellow corn meal
- 1 cup spelt flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1/2 T coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt or less, if desired
- 1/4 t of each of the following spices: sage, rosemary, thyme
- 1/4 cup cashew butter, almond butter, or tahini
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 3 T ground flaxseed
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn kernels defrosted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the corn meal, flour, baking powder, coconut sugar, salt, and spices.
- In another bowl, whisk together the nut/seed butter, applesauce, non-dairy milk, and ground flaxseeds. Fold in the corn. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Do NOT overmix!
- Pour mixture into a 9×12 glass baking dish or a 12-cup nonstick muffin tin.
- Depending on your oven, bake for 20-30 minutes minutes or until just firm to the touch. Check at 20 minutes and continue baking if needed. These are dense muffins, but you don't want to overbake them!
Turkeyless Soy Curls and Gravy
Prepare the Soy Curls:Soak 4 cups of soy curls in warm water for 10 minutes.Drain and squeeze out WELL. In 2-3 batches, place in blender and blend on the LOWEST speed for 10 seconds, just until minimally shredded OR just chop finely by hand. Remove to a bowl and set aside.Prepare the Gravy:(Modified based on gravy recipe by Brand New Vegan)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 t onion powder
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1/2 t black pepper
- 1/2 t dried rosemary optional
- 1/2 t dried thyme optional
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 t yellow mustard
- 1 t Kitchen Bouquet to create the rich brown color (optional)
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, place all of the dry ingredients. Gently stir until you smell the aroma of all of the ingredients (about 2 minutes). Increase the heat to medium, and slowly add in the vegetable broth, whisking constantly. When all of the flour and veggie broth are incorporated, add in the soy sauce, mustard, and Kitchen Bouquet (if using). Continue whisking, while raising the heat slightly. Once the sauce is at a low boil, keep the temperature stable while you whisk. The gravy should thicken in just a minute or two. Taste and add more salt if needed. Add in your drained and shredded soy curls. Serve over the warmed Savory Cornbread with any green vegetable on the side.Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Disclosure: Mrs. Plant makes use of Amazon.com affiliate links when they are available. These are products I have personally purchased and recommend based on my experience with them. Your use of these links for product purchases provides me with a commission which pays for the food and supplies I use to keep this website alive. However, your use of these links as a reader is not required.