Bean Haters Mexican Soup
Do you know someone who likes Mexican soup but doesn't like beans? Try this one out on them! I love to use my Smoky Pinto Beans recipe for the beans in this soup, but you can use canned or plain, cooked ones, as well.
Servings: 4 servings
- Pressure Cooker
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped small
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper chopped small
- 2 jalapeno peppers remove seed pod and chop finely
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- One 15-oz can hominy rinsed and drained
- One 15-oz can salt-free diced tomatoes include the juice
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup your favorite salsa
- 1 1/2 cups cooked pinto beans
- 1/2 T ground cumin
- 3/4-1 t salt (or to taste)
- 3 handfuls baby spinach (optional)
- avocado diced (optional)
- oil-free baked corn tortilla chips (optional)
- Place the chopped onion in the pressure cooker and cook with a little water until translucent (Saute feature).
- While the onion is cooking, blend the cooked beans with the salsa until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- When the onion is soft and translucent, add all of the rest of the ingredients into the pot and stir well to combine.
- Cook on High Pressure for 5 minutes. Click cancel after the countdown and let the pressure cooker release steam naturally. If using, add the baby spinach now, sitr it in, close the lid, and let it wilt before serving.
- Serve hot with diced avocado and a few crushed tortilla chips.