Indian Vegetable Pulao (Vegetable Basmati Rice)
NOTE: You can use 2 1/2 cups of frozen mixed veggies instead of the cauliflower, carrots, and peas.
- ½ t mustard seeds
- 10 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup cauliflower cut into tiny florets optional
- 1 cup chopped organic carrots
- ½ cup frozen organic peas
- 2 cups basmati rice soaked in water for 30 minutes, then rinsed well in a fine-mesh strainer with cold water and drained well
- 1 t. salt or more to taste
- 3 cups of water
- Heat a large saucepan on medium high heat. Add mustard seeds, cloves, and cinnamon sticks. Dry fry for 1 minute.
- Add rice and the vegetables, stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add salt and water and bring to a boil. Cover pot and simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes. Check after about 10 minutes to see if more water needs to be added. Only add a tiny bit if needed. Rice should be separated and fluff easily with a fork when done. Add additional salt if needed.
- Remove the cloves (count them!) and cinnamon sticks when transferring to a serving dish.