Cheezy Cucuzza Bake
This is super low in calories and very filling! If you don't have Cucuzza gourd, you can replace it with zucchini or yellow summer squash or a combination of both!
- 4 cups Cucuzza gourd peeled and chopped into 1/2" slices
- 1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 t oregano
- 1 t basil
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1/2 t onion powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 batch cashew mozzarella cheese (see note below)
- 1/4-1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 T plant-based Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In an 8×8 casserole pan, mix together the Cucuzza, tomatoes, and spices. Bake in the oven uncovered for 20 minutes.
- While the casserole is in the oven, make the plant-based mozzarella recipe. Top the casserole with the mozzarella and the breadcrumbs after removing it from the oven. Then, place it back in the oven for another 15-20 minutes, watching to make sure the breadcrumbs aren’t burning. Test for doneness with a fork. Depending on how thick your Cucuzza slices were, it may take longer to become tender.
- Serve warm from the oven!
NOTE: I used Eat Plant-Based Cashew Mozzarella Cheese, and it was perfect for this recipes!