Roasted Cherry Tomato Basil Soup
- 6-8 cups ripe cherry tomatoes or Roma tomatoes sliced in half – enough to almost fill a rimmed 13×18 sheet pan, leaving a little room for the onions
- 1 large onion sliced thin
- 4-5 cloves garlic sliced in half
- Sugar to taste and depending on how sweet your tomatoes are and how sweet you want the soup
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 2-3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place the tomatoes (juicy insides up) and and onions on a non-stick mat on the sheet pan.
- Press the garlic clove pieces into some of the tomatoes to keep them moist while roasting.
- Sprinkle everything with a generous amount of Kosher salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20-30 minutes until the tomatoes and onions have lightly browned edges.
- Remove the tray from the oven and let it cool about 10 minutes.
- Move all of the tomatoes, onions, and garlic into your high-speed blender, along with the veggie broth.
- Blend until VERY smooth and creamy. Taste and add sugar if needed and more salt and pepper if desired at this time. Blend a bit more.
- Add in the basil leaves and pulse a couple of times.
- Pour the soup into a saucepan and simmer about 10 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread!
If desired, you can make the soup really creamy by adding cashew cream to it. Cashew Cream: 1/2 cup soaked and drained raw cashews and 1/2 cup of water blended super creamy in your high-speed blender. Then, swirl it into the soup at the end.