Sweet and Sour Sauce
NOTE: If using date paste, make it in advance. I pit 1 cup of Medjool dates, soak them in a small amount of boiling water, then blend them into a paste (adding a little more water if needed).
- 2 T rice wine vinegar
- 1 T Mirin or Japanese rice wine
- juice from a 15-oz can of unsweetened pineapple reserve the fruit
- 1/4 cup date syrup optional: use brown sugar
- 2 t low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 T finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 T finely chopped pineapple from the can you drained
- a pinch of red chili flakes or more if desired
- 1 T of non-GMO cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- In a small saucepan, bring the vinegar, rice wine, pineapple juice, date syrup, soy sauce, chopped red bell pepper, and chopped pineapple to a low rolling boil. Cook until the peppers are tender. Add in the chili flakes. Then, in a very small bowl, mix the cornstarch with 1 T. of cold water and stir to create a thickening slurry. Add to the sauce mixture to thicken. Taste for sweetness. Add more date syrup if it’s not sweet enough for you.