Samosa is a well-known Indian fried or baked pastry with a savory filling, such as spiced potatoes, onions, peas, lentils. This version is baked and oil-free!
- Disposable food prep gloves
- 2 1/2 pounds of medium-sized Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and cut in half
- 1/2 t. cumin seed
- 1/2 red onion chopped finely
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1-2 green chillies the tiny ones you get at the Indian store or Serrano peppers will work, too, de-seeded and chopped finely (Caution: USE GLOVES)!
- 2 T freshly chopped cilantro
- 1/2 t cumin powder
- 1/4-1/2 t Indian red chili powder do not use Mexican chili powder, which is VERY different!
- 1/2 t turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Salt to taste
- Place peeled potato halves into the Instant Pot with 1/2 cup water. Cook on high pressure for 6 minutes with Natural Release.
- While potatoes are cooking, warm a skillet to medium-high heat. Toss in the cumin seeds and stir for about 30 seconds until aroma is present. Add the onions, garlic, chilis, and cilantro with a little bit of water. Saute until tender (adding a little water if needed to keep them from sticking to the pan). Add in the cumin powder, red chili powder, and turmeric. Stir until everything is well combined and warmed through. Set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F or heat your indoor grill to 325 degrees. You can also pop these into your air fryer!
- Drain the water completely from the potatoes, but leave them in the pressure cooker pot. Mash them roughly with a hand potato masher or hand blender. Don’t blend them too smooth if you plan to make them into pancakes. If you want to make them into smoother mashed potatoes, blend them with a hand blender. Add in the veggie/spices mixture and stir until well combined. Add in the frozen peas and stir well to distribute them.
- In Oven: Spoon mixture into blobs onto a parchment paper-lined baking pan. Flatten the mixture with a spatula or spoon. Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes until golden brown and crispy on the outside. Flip them and bake for 10 more minutes. Serve warm.
- In Indoor Grill: Spoon mixture into blobs onto the grill plate. Flatten the mixture with a spatula or spoon. Close the top and cook for 20-30 minutes until golden brown and crispy on the outside. Serve warm.