Oat Cheese Sauce
I'm calling this "Oat" Cheese Sauce because rather than the base being cashews (like our Cashew Queso recipe), this recipe calls for oats! I originally saw this recipe on "Simple Daily Recipes" by the hilarious Jill Ann McKeever. I have made some modifications to give it a more Mexican flavor. ENJOY! [nut-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan]NOTE: You can add in cumin, onion powder, and cayenne to make a Mexican-flavored for chip dipping and other Mexican recipes. See additional spices to add, below.
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned organic rolled oats [gluten-free variety if you want this sauce to be GF]
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 t fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of roasted red bell pepper about 1/2 of a medium-sized roasted pepper
- 1 T non-GMO corn starch or arrowroot powder
- 2 cups of water
- 1- 1 1/2 t salt start with 1 t and add more if needed
- For Mexican style add:
- 1 t cumin powder
- 1/2 t onion powder
- dash or more of cayenne pepper
- dash or more of black pepper
- Throw everything in your blender and blend for a few minutes until very smooth. Pour into a saucepan and cook over medium heat until thickened, whisking the entire time after about one minute. BE PATIENT! It will thicken to a beautiful, smooth, cheesy sauce.
OH MY YUM!!! Game changer!!! Thank you so much for this. It is ridiculously yummy. I sauteed some bell pepper, onion, mushrooms and minced garlic then stirred in pasta, cheese sauce and topped with avocado and Chalula.
That sounds fabulous!!!
Thank you for yet another amazingly delicious cheez sauce! I tried this one bc I didn’t have everything for the others and I’m so glad I did. Perfect taste, great texture, so quick to make!
Thanks, Jessika! This is a good one for people who can’t eat nuts. So glad you liked it!
Huge fan of this sauce! It’s our go-to every time we make rice & beans or nachos.
I am so thrilled you like it!!!