Oat Cheese Sauce
I'm calling this "Oat" Cheese Sauce because rather than the base being cashews (like our Cashew Queso recipe), this recipe calls for oats! I originally saw this recipe on "Simple Daily Recipes" by the hilarious Jill Ann McKeever. I have made some modifications to give it a more Mexican flavor. ENJOY! [nut-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan]NOTE: You can add in cumin, onion powder, and cayenne to make a Mexican-flavored for chip dipping and other Mexican recipes. See additional spices to add, below.
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned organic rolled oats [gluten-free variety if you want this sauce to be GF]
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 t fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of roasted red bell pepper about 1/2 of a medium-sized roasted pepper
- 1 T non-GMO corn starch or arrowroot powder
- 2 cups of water
- 1- 1 1/2 t salt start with 1 t and add more if needed
- For Mexican style add:
- 1 t cumin powder
- 1/2 t onion powder
- dash or more of cayenne pepper
- dash or more of black pepper
- Throw everything in your blender and blend for a few minutes until very smooth. Pour into a saucepan and cook over medium heat until thickened, whisking the entire time after about one minute. BE PATIENT! It will thicken to a beautiful, smooth, cheesy sauce.