Asian Broccoli Noodle Salad
This recipe is for 1, but the dressing can be used for several salads. It is best to steam the edamame and broccoli beforehand so they can chill in the fridge. Also, make the dressing in advance.
- 1 head Napa cabbage center rib removed from leaves and chopped finely (or use 2-3 cups packaged slaw mix)
- 1/2 head broccoli (or about 2-3 cups of florets)
- 1/2 cup frozen edamame
- 1/2 cup Lotus foods Millet and Brown Rice Noodles (or other brown rice noodle)
- 1 small cucumber diced
- 1 small pear diced
- handful cilantro chopped (optional)
- 1/3 cup natural peanut butter warmed for a few seconds in the microwave
- 1/3 cup Naked PB peanut powder (or other salt, oil, and sugar-free peanut powder)
- 1/4 cup rice vingegar
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 t fresh ginger crushed or grated
- 6 T liquid sweetener of choice (maple syrup, agave, date syrup, coconut nectar)
- 1/2 t dark sesame oil (for flavor — optional)
- 1/8 to 1/4 t red chili flakes
- chopped dry-roasted peanuts (to garnish – optional)
- Place broccoli florets in a skillet with 1-1 1/2 cups of water, cover, and cook over medium-high heat until the broccoli is still bright green but just fork tender. Drain in a colander and chill in the refrigerator until you prepare the salad. The florets will be cold in the salad.
- Chop Napa cabbage leaves finely, removing hard center rib in each leaf. Rinse and spin. Chill in the refrigerator until you prepare the salad.
- Place frozen edamame in a bowl and pour boiling water over it (at lease an inch above the beans). Set a timer for 6 minutes. Immediately drain the edamame and store in the refrigerator until you prepare the salad. These should be cold in the salad.
- Prepare the brown rice noodles just the same way you prepared the edamame above. Immediately drain the noodles. Chop them on a cutting board into smaller pieces. Store in the refrigerator until you prepare the salad. These should be cold in the salad.
- Just before preparing the salad, chop the cucumber, pear, and cilantro.
Preparing the Dressing:
- Add all of the dressing ingredients into a small bowl or jar. Whisk to combine all ingredients well. Taste and adjust if desired. Cover and chill until you prepare the salad.
Preparing the Salad:
- Load the bottom of a big salad bowl (2-quart size works best!) with the shredded cabbage, add the cucumber, pear, edamame, broccoli, noodles, cilantro, and toss in some dressing.
Remember that this dressing recipes serves about 4, so don’t use all of it!