Spicy Black Bean Burgers
NOTE: Make this "burger" batter ahead of time–at least 30 minutes before forming into patties. Keep in an airtight container until you're ready. Check out the Burger Press I like to use to form perfect patties!
Servings: 6 patties
- Food Processor
- 1 red bell pepper roughly chopped
- 1 medium-sized carrot roughly chopped
- 1/2-1 jalapeño seeds removed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cups oats
- 2 T ground flaxseed
- 2 T nutritional yeast
- 1 t ground cumin
- 3/4 t salt
- 1/2 t chili powder
- 1/2 t paprika
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1/4 t black pepper
- 2 t dried cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup baked sweet potato with skin left on if organic
- One 15 oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- whole-grain burger buns optional
- lettuce, avocado, tomato, ketchup, mustard, kraut, etc.
- Place carrots, red bell pepper, and jalapeno into a food processor, and blend until pieces are small. Remove to a large mixing bowl.
- In the food processor bowl (no need to rinse it!), add the oats, ground flaxseed, nutritional yeast, cumin, salt, chili powder, paprika, garlic, black pepper, and dried cilantro. Process into a rough flour. Add in the sweet potato and drained beans. Process until most of the beans are blended. Remove mixture to the mixing bowl. Add in the frozen corn and stir the mixture well until everything is incorporated.
- Refrigerate the “burger” batter in an air-tight container for at least 30 minutes before making into patties.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. With your hands or a burger press, form batter into patties–about 4. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, flip the patties, and bake for another 10-15 minutes until they dry out and have crispy edges. Serve with lettuce, avocado, tomato, ketchup, mustard, kraut, etc.