This recipe is modified slightly from original recipe by Deon Buhrman, who won "Best Chili" at the HealthFest contest multiple years in a row! It is a mushroom and bean chili with a sweet and spicy flavor. It's our fave! It is delicious paired with this oil-free cornbread!
- Pressure Cooker
- 1 large onion diced small
- 4 small cloves garlic minced
- 1 small jalapeno chopped (optional)
- One 15-oz can diced tomatoes
- One 15-oz can fire-roasted tomatoes with or without green chiles
- One 15-oz can tomato sauce
- 1 can red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can white kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 lb of Baby Bella mushrooms
- 2-4 T raw sugar date paste, or maple syrup (depending on how sweet you want it)
- 1-2 t salt depending on your taste
- 2 T chili powder
- ½ t paprika
- ½ t cumin
- 1/4-1 t cayenne pepper powder depending on your spicy level
- ½ t white distilled vinegar or cider vinegar
In the Pressure Cooker:
- Brown the onions and garlic first with the "Saute/Brown" feature, then dump everything else in, stir well, then cook on pressure for 8 minutes with NATURAL RELEASE. It is best if you leave the chili sitting in the pot, covered, on WARM for at least an extra hour to meld all of the flavors. Just stir occasionally.
On the Stovetop:
- Sauté onion, garlic, and jalapeno (if using) together. Divide mushrooms in half–chop half into bite-sized pieces and MINCE the other half of the mushrooms (in a chopper, food processor, or by hand).
- Mix dry ingredients separately.
- Once onions are caramelized, add dry ingredients. Let cook for about 5 to 10 minutes. Add mushrooms to onion and spice mixture. Add vinegar and let it simmer for a few minutes. Stir to make sure mushrooms and onions are covered with the spices. Add diced tomatoes, Rotel tomatoes and tomato sauce; bring to a boil. Add beans; bring back to a boil and reduce heat and let simmer for 30 minutes (stirring occasionally) before serving. The flavors meld best when it simmers for a while.
Check out this Oil-Free Cornbread/Muffins recipe! Pairs beautifully with Deon’s Chili!