California Quinoa Salad
You can reduce the fat by lowering the amount of almonds and coconut you use (or leave both out!).
- 1 cup dry organic rainbow quinoa
- 1 1/4 cups water for cooking quinoa
- 1/2 package frozen mango thawed OR 1 fresh large mango or 2 small Honey mangoes, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 cups frozen shelled edamame boiled for 5 minutes, then cooled (or pre-cooked edamame)
- 1 red bell pepper or a mixture of tri-colored, diced
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 2 T cilantro chopped
- 1/3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (optional)
- 1/3 cup unsalted dry-toasted slivered almonds (optional)
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 4 T fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 T agave or maple syrup (more or less depending on desired taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse quinoa well. Bring the water and quinoa in a sauce pot to a boil, then cover the pot and lower heat to simmer (for about 15 minutes).
- When all liquid has cooked out, fluff quinoa with a fork, spread out and let cool.
- Mix cooled quinoa in a large bowl or container with the peppers, edamame, carrots, onions, and cilantro. In a small bowl, mix the lime juice, balsamic vinegar, and sweetener together. Pour the dressing over rest of ingredients in the bowl and stir together well. Cover the container and chill before serving. In another small bowl/container, mix together the coconut flakes, toasted almonds, and dried cranberries. Top with a couple of tablespoons of this topping mixture right before you serve the salad.