Broccoli Enchiladas With Creamy Salsa Verde Sauce
These enchiladas are a change of pace from their meat-filled predecessors. NOTE: The ingredients and recipe for the Creamy Salsa Verde Enchilada Sauce are separate from this recipe.
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 1 head broccoli florets remove stems
- 2 T nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 T salt-free Mexican seasoning
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1/2 cup salsa of your choice
- 1 block firm tofu pressed, drained, and crumbled into tiny pieces
- salt to taste
- 8 flour tortillas (you could also use corn if desired)
- avocado diced (optional)
- green onions chopped (optional)
- Make the Creamy Salsa Verde Enchilada Sauce and set aside.
- Cook broccoli florets with chopped onion in water in a covered skillet until very tender.
- Drain off water and place the onions and broccoli florets in a large bowl. Add in the nutritional yeast flakes, Mexican seasoning, garlic powder, salsa, crumbled tofu. Mix well, taste the filling and add salt if needed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add 1/4 cup of the Creamy Salsa Verde Enchilada Sauce to the bottom of a 13×9 glass baking dish and spread evenly over the whole bottom.
- On a wooden board or other clean working surface, place a tortilla, fill with 1/8 of the filling, roll, and place in the bottom of the 13×9 glass baking dish. Repeat until all 8 tortillas are filled and rolled up.
- Pour the rest of the Creamy Salsa Verde Enchilada Sauce over the entire casserole.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve warm topped with chopped avocado and green onions if desired.