Charoset (Apple Walnut Relish)
Pronounced HAR-O-SET, this delightful snack comes from the Hebrew word CHERES, which means "clay." It is a fruity, nutty, cinnamony snack commonly served on matzo–a simple, flat, textured cracker made of wheat and water (and sometimes a little salt). This is my version, which is a little less decadent than some recipes out there, but still absolutely luscious!
- 2 large Fuji apples washed and dried, chopped into tiny diced pieces (skins left on!)
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped finely
- 1 T coconut or date sugar
- 1 T red wine
- 2 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t lemon juice (optional-to preserve apple color)
- Stir all ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl and chill before serving on salt-free crackers or matzo.