Homemade Vegan Play Dough
I wanted to make homemade play dough for my grandson without a bunch of chemical ingredients and artificial dyes. After doing some research, I came up with this combination of ingredients and method. It worked great!Makes about 2 cups of play dough.
- 1 cup fine salt
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 t cream of tartar
- 2 T coconut oil
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 T Butterfly Pea powder or FINELY ground dried beet powder
- A few dashes of pleasant-smelling essential oil (I used vanilla)
- Combine the warm water and colored powder and whisk to dissolve. Add in a few dashes of essential oil if desired.
- Then, add all of the ingredients including the colored water to a large skillet over medium heat. Stir ingredients together with a silicone spatula (I used a black just in case) until everything is mixed well and the dough starts to become elastic but still soft to the touch. This takes about 3 minutes.
- Remove dough ball to a wooden board and knead a bit more if needed to make sure the color is completely blended in. Store in an airtight container.
To use natural colors made from powder, you will have to make each batch separately. You could halve the ingredients and make 2 smaller batches of different colors.