Instant Pot Mushroom and Leek Chowder
Inspired by Rabbit and Wolves
Servings: 4 Servings
- Instant Pot
- 2 leeks sliced 1/4″ thick (white parts only)*
- 4 cloves of garlic crushed
- 8 oz. Baby Bella mushrooms sliced
- 4 oz fresh shitake mushrooms sliced thinly (or just use 4 more oz of Baby Bella's if you can't get these or don't like them)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 larger Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and diced into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 t dried thyme
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup raw cashews soaked in water if you don’t have a Vitamix or other high-speed blender
- 3/4 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1/8 t ground nutmeg
- 1/8 t ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 t salt
- Add chopped leeks (read note below), garlic, and a little water to your Instant Pot on the saute setting. Cook until tender. Add sliced mushrooms and continue cooking until they release their moisture. Add wine and cook for at least 5 minutes so the alcohol can cook off. Add potatoes, broth, thyme, and bay leaf. Cover and cook on high pressure for 4 minutes with QUICK RELEASE.
- While the soup is cooking, make the cashew cream by placing the ingredients in a high-speed cup blender and blend the mixture until it is smooth and creamy. After you release the Instant Pot steam, add the cashew cream to the soup and stir well. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed. I use a total of one teaspoon of salt in this soup. You may desire more or less. Serve warm.
* Once you slice your leeks, you need to rinse them in cold water several times to make sure there is no sand or dirt between the rings. Separating the rings helps. Leeks are grown in a way that they hold onto sand and dirt as they are growing. After you think they are completely clean, drain them off and start the recipe.