STEAMED Eggless Rolls
Since we don't cook with oil and air frying these isn't quite the same without any oil, we decided to steam our eggrolls and see how they came out. They were DELIGHTFUL!You can make the filling the day before or in the morning on the day you plan to roll and steam the eggless rolls. The filling will last 2-3 days in the fridge.You can also use this filling for Deconstructed Egg Roll Bowls! Add cooked rice to a bowl. Top with the filling mixture and serve with a sauce!Check out my Homemade Sweet and Sour Sauce recipe!
Servings: 4 servings
- Instant Pot or other pressure cooker
- Steamer basket to use inside the pressure cooker
- 3/4 block firm tofu
- 1 T low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 t dark sesame oil (for flavor) optional
- 16 oz Baby Bell mushrooms chopped finely in food processor
- 1 package shredded slaw mix (the kind with only green cabbage and/or carrots is best)
- 2 green onions chopped (use white part only)
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup frozen peas (no need to defrost)
- 1 pkg VEGAN eggroll wrappers (We buy Nasoya brand)
- dipping sauces like mango-ginger, sweet chili sauce, sweet and sour, etc.
Bake the Tofu:
- Crumble tofu into a bowl and add the soy sauce and dark sesame oil (if using). Bake at 375 degrees on nonstick foil or parchment paper fo 20 minutes.
Make the Filling:
- In a large skillet, cook down the finely chopped mushrooms over medium-high heat. DO NOT ADD ANY LIQUID.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, chop the slaw mix a little, so the pieces are about 1/3 of their original length. Add to the skillet with the mushrooms.
- Add the chopped green onion (white parts only) to the skillet.
- Add other seasonings to the skillet and stir to combine. Cook until most of the liquid is released and evaporated.
- Add in the baked tofu and frozen peas LAST. Gently stir together. Add additional seasonings if you desire.
- Turn off the heat and let the mixture cool a bit.
Assemble the Eggless Rolls:
- On a wooden board, place one vegan eggroll wrapper toward you in a diamond shape. Place about 2 T of the filling in a line along the center of the wrapper horizontally, leaving about 3/4 inch of wrapper on the left and right sides free of filling. Roll the wrapper point closest to you OVER the mixture line and pull back to create a tube-like shape. This is JUST like wrapping a burrito! Fold in the sides, one by one. Continue rolling away from you until you get to the end. Pat a little cold water around the inside end edges to close and seal the final flap.
- In your pressure cooker, add 1 cup of water. Place your steamer basket into the pressure cooker and add a few eggless rolls into it, being careful not to place them too close or touching. Close the pressure cooker lid and cook for 7 minutes with QUICK RELEASE. You will have to cook these in batches. I can cook 5-6 at a time.
- Serve freshly steamed eggless rolls with dipping sauce of your choice!
If you make the filling ahead of time, you can just roll up the eggless rolls right before you steam them. Just make sure you discard any extra moisture in your filling container before you start. The filling can be used for 2-3 days.